Thursday 26 September 2013

Tate Review

The Tate Modern in London is Britain's national museum of international modern art. The exhibition that I liked the most and really captured my eye was 'Energy and Progress'. The concept of the exhibit was the sheer variety of intentional art. The embodiment of art in everyday life. Life as it is today. The artist that I liked the most was William Eggleston. Eggleston is an American photographer, who focuses on colour and the surrounding around him. 
I like certain photographs that he has taken especially ones with natural lighting because I feel that it brings out the best in the natural environment. I also like the depth of field that has been shown in some of the photographs taken in his home state of America.  A lot of this work is very simple but effective to look at. I mean this by the way that the camera has been set up in a specific spot for example a empty road or sitting above the subject they are taking. Also where the model is stood in a secluded place in the middle of nowhere, it captures your eye in the way that you not really sure what the main focal point to this image is, the person or the background. I understand why Eggleston has kept the scene so minimalist as it brings alot of meaning to the photo. 
William Eggleston
Untitled 1970–73
Another image that really captured my attention is this image of a car in the middle of a deserted car-park, with a massive puddle in the background. I like the composition of the car because of the way that only 3/4 of the car is being revealed in the frame. Another reason is because of the colour of the car stands out from the brownish concrete and the watery puddle to the far right. However that puddle does add element of depth to the final piece. 
William Eggleston
Untitled 1970–73
All in all I believe that William Eggleston's work is very good way of describing the theme of Energy and Progress. This is because everyday we produce energy and progress as the day goes forward. 



No comments:

Post a Comment