Saturday 5 October 2013

3D design

This week was all about three dimensional design work. We first started off by drawing different shapes on to a piece of large paper that could be transformed into products that you could wear, sit on or live in etc.. 



My favourite designs that I drew was probably the jewellery design, in which we had to sketch out the bottom of our shoes. We then had to make the drawing of the soles of our shoes into a piece of jewellery. I thought mine would work quite well with turning it into a necklace, plus adding a bit of colour to make it look more appealing to the eye. Another sketch design that I liked was turning a square, a circle and a triangle into a ipod/mp3 player, that was a completely different design to any other. I tried to make it look like was an earring so it had multipurpose use. 

The next part of the day was to create a paper structure to hold a full litre bottle of water and 30cm off the ground, and only using one piece of A1 paper. I tried to make tower box shape as my first attempted, but unfortunately it was unstable and didn't work. I tried another technique of screwing up the piece of paper and trying to making as supportive as possible and 30cm tall. I put a empty bottles of water on the structure that worked but with the full litre of bottle it didn't have the same effect.  Below you can see the process of of how my design collapsed once the water bottle was placed on top of it. 
Fig 1-4 authors own
The final part of the day was to create a structure that you had to either sit on or stand on it, but we could only use 8 pieces of cardboard and tape. The design that we created was a triangular shape that was supported by another pyramid shape with circular tubes supporting the back of the seat. However when I sat on the seat, the structure wasn't supportive enough and collapsed onto the ground. I think if more support was added to the back and the actually seat area it might had held the weight of a person sitting down or standing on it.

  Fig 5 Pragga Saha

   

No comments:

Post a Comment